ImageSqueeze - lossy image codec
Other applications hosted on svjatoslav.eu
This software is distributed under GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE Version 2.
Lossy image codec. Optimized for photos.
I developed it to test out an image compression ideas.
I believe my algorithm has following advantages:
* Fast. Relatively few computations per pixel.
* Easy to add support for progressive image loading. (Saving is already progressive)
Current limitations / to do:
* Documentation describing idea behind this algorithm is still missing (lack of time)
* Code documentation is weak.
* Better sample applications needed: Commandline image conversion utility. Image viewer.
Below are original photo and the same image being compressed down to ~93 Kb and then decompressed.
When looking very closely, slight grainyness, loss of color precision and
blurriness (loss of detail) could be noticed as a compression artifacts.
Still sharp edges are always preserved. Also no blocks typical to JPEG are ever seen.
I think that is awesome result for just ~ 2.5 bits per pixel on that color photo.